I support the construction of a facility on Mercer Island to host the non-profit public Mercer Island Center for the Arts (MICA). To enable MICA to be built, I support placing MICA on a small portion of Mercerdale Park.
What I’m looking for is an understanding of how park land on Mercer Island has grown, or diminished, over the years. And, concerning a possible land lease, how does the land area for MICA compare to any expansion (or contraction) of park lands since the City was incorporated. My questions are:
- When the City of Mercer Island and the Town of Mercer Island were initially incorporated in the 1960’s, what was the area of public park lands owned by the City and Town?
- Since incorporation, what is the area of added park land that the City has purchased, received by private donation, received from governmental agencies, is presently leasing, etc.?
- Since incorporation, what is the area of park land that the City has sold, transferred away, is presently leasing to others, etc.?
- What is the total area of public park land now owned or leased by the City?
- What is the total area of public park land now owned by other governmental entities?